Monday, January 11, 2010

Apparently, I am NOT going to blog every day in January

To be truthful, I only missed one day (yesterday), though I did delete one of my other posts for personal / political reasons. My inner PR flack (I used to be one) could not rest comfortably; I envisioned repercussions of some sort--undeserved (what I write is always fair and truthful), but problems nevertheless.

Last night, when I might have blogged, I was just tired.

We have been entertaining relatives every weekend for what feels like a month. It probably is a month.

Entertaining means serious cleaning and marathon cooking. I can't take much more of this. The holiday season needs to be *over*--but we still have our tree up.

Anyway, I am prepping this week for midterm exams. I still have to write them. I do this every year.

My American Lit students told me today that they heard my vocabulary sections were "killer," and "impossible." I was sorry, but I had to laugh.

1) Not true and 2) They've been studying these words for months, so how it could it be that hard?

Vocabulary is one of my favorite things to teach. I love words.

What is more important to reading and writing than words? That's what it's all about, after all.

The other part of the American Lit midterm will be literary analysis of passages from the novels we've read. I will practice with my class, but again: I want to see what they've absorbed so far in terms of analysis, comprehension and writing.

AP English Language will have a midterm that is a practice version of an actual AP English Language exam. That's easy for me.

Before I write these exams, however, I have a foot-high stack of papers to grade.

Wish me luck.




No comments:

Post a Comment