Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Why Teaching Has Made Me Happy

I have had reasons to be unhappy lately. I have been the victim of gross (politically-motivated) injustice and downright cruelty perpetrated by some very mean people, but, for the most part, I remain happy.

For the past five years, teaching high school (I taught college before and will likely soon teach college again) has kept me unbelievably busy, but it has also kept me happy. Interacting with my students has always been a joy, and being of service to young people is one of the things that I do best.

I am not so egotistical as to believe that I can change every student's life, but I know I have changed at least a few.

Speaking of change--I know from experience that even those people who steadfastly believe one thing can grow and learn and and come to change their minds. I have seen it happen. I have no doubt that someday it will happen again.

(I would be more specific, but you know, I don't want to embarrass anyone.)

The point I want to make today is that helping others gets us out of our own heads and into our hearts.

It is harder to be unhappy when you know that you are useful, that you have been of help.

So--ask yourself: did I hurt someone today, or did I help? How can I, also, take my own hurt and transform it by helping someone else?

Life has ups and downs and is ever-changing, but what's inherently good about this is that even bad times will not last forever. Good things wash in every day with the tide.

As for me--I have a new book project (trust me, you will not want to miss it!) that has me incredibly excited.

I am open for college application essay tutoring business--and not to be a snob, but there's no one who does this as well as I do, and that's just a fact. I also love doing it, so that helps!

When I figure out how to make a video, I will post one here for my students (my 10-year-old is a whiz at this but she has little patience for showing me, I think).

Be well!

EC

2 comments:

  1. Ms. Collins, WE MISS YOU and we are furious that anyone could be so horrible to you as those people were.

    Nothing is as good or as fun as when you taught us. Nothing will ever be the same.

    MUCH LOVE from US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that, oh anonymous people (students?).

    My hope is that you don't need to be anonymous for fear of reprisals, but if I can get accused of "inflammatory" actions when I have done nothing of the sort, then anyone can clearly be accused of anything in this quasi-totalitarian state.

    If that was inflammatory, y'ain't seen nuthin yet.

    Best,

    EC

    ReplyDelete