Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Caution: Men Fighting Trash Cans (What My Little One Said)


Every summer, work is done to the roads around my house. It looks like exactly the same work every summer; I truly wonder if it isn't indicative of some sort of corruption.

But anyway. There was this construction sign (above) on the road leading to the pool. "Men fighting trash cans!" said my youngest daughter.

That absolutely cracked me up. It does look like a person winding up to punch some sort of boxy thing, doesn't it?

I liked her comment because it just goes to show how there are different ways of viewing the world. I don't know if my daughter's way of interpreting this sign shows more imagination than what the rest of us see (man holding a flag), or if the rest of us have just been duped into accepting a rather inaccurate looking sign.

What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. Seems to me that children's minds are more uncluttered than most of our minds are--so they can see more. And from another angle, their minds are more free of trash than most of ours probably are. You know the saying, "able to think outside the box"--well, maybe children can think outside the trash can! Hmmm. I think I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, and thanks for your comment. Once she said that, I thought, "Wow. It really does look like that," and I started to wonder about the abstraction of the figure.

    Best,

    EC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved it! This post really reminded me to look at things from a different angle and pay attention to what I see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it's cool because it may be something we all just sort of blindly accepted--but once you hear the new idea, it makes even more sense.

    Best,

    EC

    ReplyDelete