Monday, August 23, 2010

When in Doubt, Follow the Money...Deep Throat was Right






I have said before that every bad thing we deal with is tied up with money. 


  • Why are some people paid paltry wages and worked to death while their bosses get rich? In other words, why does the oldest story in the world keep happening? Hmmm. Because of money. 
  • Why does it cost so much to go to the doctor (and it's not what the physician is being paid--it's really how much money is going to the middleman, the health insurer; and things won't change because no one wants the health insurance companies to earn less money, and physicians don't want to take less, and they shouldn't have to. So what's left? Outrageous, ever-rising health insurance premiums; $300 charges for a tablet of Tylenol in the hospital.)
  • Why do we let kids go hungry in our own country, or any other? Because we don't want to spend money to feed them. 
  • Why are schools teaching to the test and cutting out arts classes? Money. They're afraid that their district will lose federal money.
  • Why are experienced teachers let go and replaced with untrained newbies? Money.
  • Why did I lose my job? Big complicated story, but bottom line is...money.
  • Why are so many other people still unemployed despite increased bottom lines in many companies? Money.
  • Why do some people fear Democratic control of Congress? They think that Democrats don't care as much about their money.
  • Why aren't we doing more to protect our environment? Money.





Every time you want to get to the truth of a story, you need to, as "Deep Throat" said in "All the President's Men" (seminal book by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein, and amazing film, from which I've quoted below), FOLLOW THE MONEY.

(From IMDB; click to get link)
Deep Throat: Follow the money.
Bob Woodward: What do you mean? Where?
Deep Throat: Oh, I can't tell you that.
Bob Woodward: But you could tell me that.
Deep Throat: No, I have to do this my way. You tell me what you know, and I'll confirm. I'll keep you in the right direction if I can, but that's all. Just... follow the money. 


A friend sent me the article below. It's an opinion piece, but it's intelligent, researched, and I agree with it. All the lines below are ones I have pulled out from the article.


Follow the Money    Circleville (OH) Herald, 17 August 2010


http://www.circlevilleherald.com/articles/2010/08/17/opinion/doc4c6a11684efbe212707455.txt



  • Republicans don't want you to be able to follow the tsunamis of cold cash buying their loyalty.
  • Republican "Party of No" stalling allowed unemployment benefits to expire three times this year before they were finally overruled by Democrats.
  • Republican heartlessness this past month denied much needed benefits for 9/11 rescue workers suffering permanent respiratory injury for their selfless service at the World Trade Center. 
  • How did these guys manage to hoodwink so many of us into believing they are the party of faith and family values? Since the Reagan tax cutting (for the already rich) and deregulation revolution began we have seen a massive redistribution of wealth upwards.
  • America's two biggest economic crashes, 1929 and 2008, occurred after 9years and 30 years, respectively, of Republican dominated laissez faireconomics. 
  • Another myth held forth by unregulated free market ideologues is that the U.S. is a freely upwardly mobile society. 
  • This coming election season "refudiate"( Ms. Palin's term) all "faith and family values" smoke screens. Follow the real values, follow the money. Find out what corporation bought that attack ad you just saw. 
Don't be fooled; follow the money.

5 comments:

  1. Agreed! When someone way back when said money was the root of all evil they weren't kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd forgotten about that aphorism. Good one. I just actually read the text of Dornier's last comment, and if I could edit here, I would. I hope it didn't offend. I am trying to not censor unless I really, really have to--though trust me, I have gotten so many crazed and nasty notes it's not even funny. Some I do publish just to prove my case.

    Best,

    EC

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have very wise friends!(great minds...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your opinion.I am very pleased to read after this superb blog.

    ReplyDelete