Monday, January 23, 2012

Why Liberals Offend the GOP: Because Liberals Help People


And here, for your reading pleasure, is a snippet from my upcoming memoir, 
Too Cool for School. I think it complements the ad above.


Now that an extra, unexpected person was here, the chairs in the principal’s office were  inadequate. ____ to my shock, took the seat next to me, the chair intended for the principal—it went with the man’s desk. My new neighbor scooted very close to me, right in my face, and accused me of all sorts of asinine things—mostly concerning being a "liberal.” This word was spat, repeatedly, like a curse. All of these accusations of my purported “liberal democrat” status had nothing to do with the issue we were there to discuss.


4 comments:

  1. Some people do say "liberal" like it's a curse. You put that so well. Personally, I think those who are not liberal are cursed. Cursed with willful blindness, selfishness, you name it.

    This is just the tip of the iceberg, I am sure. Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tell the whole story (but I have tried to be very nice about it, as per usual)--but I also tell many other stories, too. This memoir is about teaching in general, and you will get all my ideas on the subject (which I was recently told are "invaluable," though I feel too arrogant repeating that). I will post the cover soon, and you can read the back cover copy, blurbs, etc.

    Best,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do bleeding heart liberals always try to help people with other people's money? If they are really sincere then wouldn't they use their OWN money?

    Why do affluent liberals who support public housing and welfare never support those programs in their own neighborhoods?

    Anyone want to bet that Elizabeth Collins lives in an all white neighborhood with no public housing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being "liberal" means caring about other people, not just your own money. Hey--I pay taxes, too. It's OUR money, not "other people's."

    And no, I do NOT live in an all-white neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete