Thursday, March 1, 2012

Maybe Your Dad IS One of America's Three Top Writers

I have long believed that Nick Flynn's memoir title, Another Bullshit Night in Suck City, is the best book title I have ever read or heard of.

The best

I love it completely.

Turns out that the title comes from a line his homeless dad used to describe what life is like on the streets. 

It also turns out that Jonathan Flynn (the dad) has believed for perhaps decades that he is one of America's best writers (along with J.D. Salinger and Mark Twain).  

See this NPR article for in-depth coverage of how Nick Flynn reunited with his long-lost dad, and what he learned, and director/screenwriter Ted Weitz's film, Being Flynn, based on the book Another Bullshit Night...


Maybe Jonathan Flynn is indeed a great writer.  He wrote a great book title (however accidentally), that's for sure.

Photo, still from "Being Flynn" by David Lee, Focus Features

I finally got Flynn's 2004 memoir (which I can read after I finish two book reviews). Perhaps the timing is perfect, as Weitz's new film, starring Robert DeNiro as Jonathan Flynn, is just coming out. It's called Being Flynn

I can't wait to see it. 

Good luck to all the Flynns. I am glad to know of your hard-won and long-in-coming success, and congratulations on the acclaim (multiplied now, because of the film) you will get for daring to share your painful stories. 

I think it's so important to share stories, and the more painful the story is, the more useful it can be to humanity. After all, as Jonathan Flynn aptly noted, that's the most important thing in life: helping other people.


No comments:

Post a Comment