Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Gloating and Boasting About Getting a Teacher Fired

Yet another horrific story emerged today about a peanut gallery call for a teacher's firing (the teacher already resigned because it's not worth it to put up with this unjust persecution). 

This teacher got into trouble for, well, nothing.

In a creative writing class where the assignment (quite a common one: I have seen it in many places) was to rewrite a classic fairy tale or legend and give it a new, timely twist, one student took the story of Jesus feeding the poor with loaves and fishes and changed the groceries to medical marijuana.

That was the teacher's fault how…? And it's reprehensible because…?

Every creative writing teacher knows not to censor writing (unless the content and the words appear to  indicate insanity in some way). This teacher did not censor. Good for her.

But then another student (was the teacher baited? You have to wonder; baiting "liberal" teachers is a thing some sociopathic people do) took it upon herself to report this "incident" and call for the teacher's firing.

How special!

"Katrina Guarascio said the student who complained about a classmate's pot-dealing Jesus [story] 'actually boasted to her classmates about how she was 'going to get her teacher fired.'"--from Ben Hooper's article, "Teacher Resigns After Student Writes About Jesus, Drugs," UPI

Sadly, I have read so many stories like this--among them: a teacher who was fired because he or she took students to an art museum where, horror of horrors, they saw naked statues! 

Someone, ONE person, complained about these innocent teachers…and there you go. Terminated.
(Mind you, that's not supposed to happen. It only happens when school administrators do the wrong thing.)

In my decade-plus of teaching, I have listened to many people tell me, with delightful tones of reminiscence, how in the past they "got a teacher fired." This, I find horrific--and strange: people I found perfectly nice still had this vein of entitlement or righteous indignation or…something.


Why, I have to wonder, are we not teaching our children it is wrong to do this? Why do we model incivility for our kids when we gun for someone to lose her job?

I think it's wrong to even speak the words, "I'm going to get her fired," let alone actually do it!

My heart breaks for hardworking, dedicated teachers who do not deserve to lose their jobs. 

How can anyone, in good conscience, seek to drive another person (a good person, with good intentions, mind you) into unemployment? It's inconceivable.

Quite a while ago, I decided that I will speak out for my fellow teachers (especially those who have gotten in trouble for ridiculous things) in the ways that I can. My hope is to effect change, to stop the madness, to protect teachers from this absurdity. I hope others will join me.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing this. As Common Core has become more and more controlling over classrooms, parents are paying more and more attention. Things that have been done in classrooms for decades are now under close scrutiny and much of it blamed on CC. The blame leeches into blaming the teacher and MANY teachers are leaving because of it. While I am thrilled to have parents participating, this knee-jerk reaction to blame teachers for everything has to stop. It breaks my heart to see the best teachers walking away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The climate is so difficult right now. I teach in private school, so I don't have to deal with CC--but private school, while free in terms of curricula, can have its own issues with "customer service." And yes, the teacher-blame is acute right now, all over America.

      Delete