Sunday, August 14, 2016

An article, a book, a life-changing conversation

This  article from The Atlantic was one I assigned to my students several years ago--merely as an extra piece to read toward the end of the year, a time when we were done with the usual curriculum.  

I enjoyed Emily Esfahani Smith's piece, "There's More to Life Than Being Happy." I got a lot out of it, and I hoped my students would, too.

They did. 

The article started a huge, school-wide conversation about the reason we're alive.

I've now taught Viktor Frankl's book, Man's Search for Meaning, which this article refers to, for several years. This book changes lives. Honest.

Viktor Frankl, famous psychiatrist
 
At the end of the year, half the supply of paperbacks is always missing; no one wants to return this book. That's how powerful it is.

Share an article with your students--maybe this article. Start a conversation. See where it leads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment